January 2023 | Newsletter Links
February 2 | Utility & Impact of Assessment Taskforce Application
June 9-10 | CS-R and Supplementary Scales Training (In Finland)
November 10, 17, 30 | CS-R and Supplementary Scales Training (Online)
Click here to view abstracts for all sessions being presented at the 2023 SPA Convention in Austin, TX! Register to attend in-person or virtual.
February 3 | Book Signing Table at Convention
February 15 | Early-Bird Rate Ends
February 15 | Austin Marriott Downtown Hotel Reservations
March 17 | Submit Items to the Silent Auction
March 24 | Volunteer for the Convention
- Local Assessment Organization: Collaborative Assessment Association of the Bay Area (CAABA) is a small non-profit organization located in the SF Bay Area. We offer monthly live webinar 1.5 CE sessions on various assessment topics. While we aim to support our local community, we welcome assessment psychologists, from around the United States. We have a minimal annual membership fee and are student friendly. CAABA members attend our monthly CE sessions for no additional cost. As we grow, we hope to provide more CE opportunities focused on collaborative assessment Check out our past and upcoming events via www.CAABA.info and please let us know if you have any interest in presenting in the future.
- Event: The International Rorschach Institute is pleased to announce two 2-day introductory workshops on the Exner Comprehensive System-Revised (CS-R). The CS-R is the newly published revised edition of the Exner Comprehensive System authorized by Rorschach Workshops. Both workshops will be taught by Patrick Fontan, one of the co-authors of the CS-R. These will be the first two CS-R offerings to be given in the United States.The first workshop will be in Miami, FL on February 24 & 25, 2023. This workshop is available for in-person and online.attendance and has been accredited by the APA for 12 Continuing Education credits. Click here for more information.
The second workshop will be in New York City at Pace University on March 3 & 4, 2023. It has been accredited by both the APA and NYSPA for 12 Continuing Education credits. An announcement is coming soon but interested individuals can email Dr. John Stokes at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information."
- APA Award: Congratulations to Aidan Wright for being selected for APA's Distinguished Scientific Early Career Contributions to Psychology Award! Also, for publishing piece along co-cautors Aaron Pincus, Whitney Ringwald, and Chris Hopwood in the American Pscyhologist on Personality Disorders with Implications for Assessment. Abstract: Personality disorders (PDs) are among the most common and severe classes of psychopathology. From a clinical perspective, it is challenging to help individuals with personality disorders because treatment ruptures, discontinuation, reversals, and failures are relatively common. An additional clinical challenge is that the model used to diagnose personality disorders is demonstrably incorrect. Recent efforts to improve diagnosis of personality disorders apply two criteria: the first distinguishes personality disorders from other kinds of psychopathology and the second distinguishes different types of personality disorders. However, this approach has been problematic in that, as currently operationalized, it does not provide a clear demarcation for personality disorders, and it uses a framework for individual differences that is more apt as a model of variation in psychopathology in general. This article proposes that the core of personality disorders involves difficulties understanding and relating to self and others, and thus the personality disorders should be recast as the interpersonal disorders. Interpersonal dysfunction explains extreme social challenges and treatment difficulties that are characteristic of this class of psychopathology. This approach provides a clearer model for distinguishing these kinds of problems, as demonstrated by reformulating traditional personality disorder symptoms from an interpersonal perspective. (PsycInfo Database Record (c) 2023 APA, all rights reserved)
- Event: Introducing the Rorschach Comprehensive System - Revised (CS-R): Therory & Practice (Two-Day Workshop). Rorschach Workshops in conjunction with the International Rorschach Institute have just published the first revision of the CS since 2003 (Exner, Fontan & Andronikof, 2022). The CS-R continues the long tradition of using Exner’s CS in an empirically validated fashion, while introducing some new scoring variables and psychometric changes but still allowing for considerable clinical flexibility as well as expansion and future research. The CS-R employs a new computer scoring program (CHESSSS-2), which relies upon validated clinical cut-off scores, but also allows clinicians to compare protocols to national reference samples as well as clinical samples. The CHESSSS-2 program automatically calculates some variables which have been validated since the previous CS version (e.g., Ego Impairment Index-3, Reality Fantasy Scale), but also allows users to enter coding variables that comprise supplementary scales (e.g., Gacano & Smith’s Aggressive Content Scores, Weinberger-Katzav & Bornstein’s Rorschach Oral Dependency Scale, Cooper, Perry & Arnow’s Rorschach Defense Scales). However, such scales are still viewed as supplementary in nature and are not required for CHESSSS-2 Input or CS-R Interpretation. For more information, click here. To register, use this email address, psychologyCEcredits@pace.edu to request your registration.
- Event: ISSPD is excited to announce that their Early Bird Registration is now open for the ISSPD 2023 Congress that will take place 1st-3rd November 2023 at SMC, Sydney. The Congress will be an opportunity for world leading researchers and master clinicians to share their knowledge, students to engage with more senior colleagues and showcase their research and careers, and consumers to engage with the clinical and research world. For more information, click here.
- Event: XXIV Congress of the International Society for the Rorschach and Projective Methods- Join ISR for their Congress July 9-12, 2024 in Copenhagen, Denmark. For more information, please visit rorschachcph2024.dk.
- Editoral Fellowships for Early Career Professionals: Many APA journals offer editorial fellowship programs for early-career psychologists from historically excluded groups. These programs seek to elevate leadership opportunities in research and publishing for members of communities that have been historically underserved. Fellowships are open to individuals who have completed their education/training and are no more than 10 years postdoctoral. Candidates may hold a position at the rank of assistant professor (or equivalent, such as a research scientist). Visit the APA Journals webpage for details on qualifications, responsibilities, and how to apply. Click here to explore fellowship opportunities.