A focused opportunity to discuss their interests in psychoanalytic approaches to personality assessment!
Anthony Bram, PhD, ABAP
Private Practice, Lexington, MA
Lecturer in Psychology in the Department of Psychiatry, Part-time, Cambridge Health Alliance/Harvard Medical School
Christina Biedermann, PsyD, ABAP
The mission of the Psychoanalytic Assessment Interest Group is to provide SPA members a focused opportunity to discuss their interests in psychoanalytic approaches to personality assessment and to create a network of professionals to support each other's education, writing, and research. The group supports the mission of the SPA Board of Trustees by fostering membership interest in these topics and by providing resources to support direct clinical service, supervision, teaching, and research. Past initiatives have included: biannual summaries of members' interests and projects; the creation of a reading list of seminal texts; and a mentorship program matching students and early-career clinicians with more senior assessors. The group also encourages scientific presentations, posters, continuing education workshops, and publications that integrate psychoanalytic theory with personality assessment.
We are delighted you are interested in the Psychoanalytic Assessment Interest Group of SPA. We are a group of assessors, clinicians, teachers, supervisors, and students interested in the application of psychoanalytic theory to the practice of assessment. We believe that theoretically-informed assessment has the potential to offer richness and depth to the administration and interpretation of assessment measures, as well as the formulation of and communication about assessment findings.
In addition to our annual meetings at the SPA conference, we strive to provide resources and a network of like-minded colleagues available throughout the year to support one another’s learning, research, and writing. We have posted resources here and invite you to let us know what else might be useful to you.
We welcome all colleagues to join us, particularly graduate students and early career psychologists seeking support in integrating their psychoanalytic and assessment interests.
Please feel free to be in touch with ideas, resources, or questions.
- Support professional development for students and early-career psychologists interested in integrating psychoanalytic thinking and assessment.
- Encourage research, writing, and other scholarly contributions by members.
- Promote and provide continuing education opportunities for members.
- Facilitate networking, collaboration, and consultation among members.
We meet annually at the SPA conference.
We will also be sponsoring a free webinar with a senior clinician demonstrating a psychoanalytic approach to assessment in October 26, 2021.
- American Psychoanalytic Association: https://apsa.org/
- APsaA Fellowship Program: https://www.apadivisions.org/division-39
- APA Div 39: https://www.apadivisions.org/division-39
- International Psychoanalytical Association: https://www.ipa.world
- International Society for Rorschach and Projective Methods: https://www.internationalrorschachsociety.com