October 2022 | Newsletter Updates
Call for Proposals | Call for Proposal Reviewers | Convention Updates | Strategic Framework Survey | Grants | Scholarships | Member Renewal Notice | Call for Exchange Editor | ISSTD Training | Community Events & News | Job Postings
The countdown has started! There are only a few days left to submit your proposal for the 2023 SPA Convention in Austin, TX! SPA is planning an in-person event with a small virtual option for some of the educational content.
Types of Convention Programming:
- Case Discussion
- Roundtable Discussion
- Individual Paper
- Individual Poster
- Flash Talk
Call for Proposals Deadline: October 10, 2022
SPA is seeking volunteers to review proposals that will be associated with our 2023 SPA Convention in Austin, TX. This will not only extend another opportunity for our members to become involved, but it will also ensure the quality of our program sessions. Attendance at the convention is not required to volunteer as a reviewer.
Please review the following timeline to ensure you will have the capacity to serve in this role prior to submitting the form.
- October 10: Deadline for Application
- October 17: Programs Assigned to Reviewers Selected
- November 3: Deadline for Program Reviews to be Submitted
Submit Applications by October 10, 2022!
SPA is excited to announce our Featured Lectures for the 2023 SPA Convention in Austin, TX. The speakers will touch on various relevant topics to the personality assessment field.
- Psychological Assessment of Racial and Cultural Trauma | Dr. Apryl Alexander
- Language as Personality | Dr. Jamie Pennebaker
- Carving Your Path: Career Development Panel | Panelist TBD
We have also made a tenative schedule at a glance available, click here to view the most current schedule.
Even though registration will not open until November, the hotel is now accepting reservations. Click here to book your room in Austin, TX!
As you know, the SPA Board of Directors has approved a 2022-2027 SPA Strategic Framework which outlines the future of SPA, and we need YOUR insights, ideas, and resources for our 2023 strategies. At the 2022 Fall SPA Board Meeting a few weeks ago, SPA leadership identified the following four strategies to focus upon for 2023:
- Promote diversity-focused research for the advancement and application of personality assessment.
- Define the utility and impact of personality assessment and communicate its value.
- Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice Plan remains at the core of robust diversity lenses in all facets of profession’s focus.
- Become a comprehensive resource for personality assessment.
Please share all ideas and resources by October 20th.
Submit Survey by October 20, 2022!
SPA will be accepting grant applications now through October 17, 2022. APPLY TODAY!
Student Research Grant
The Society for Personality Assessment (SPA) will be making grants to support all types of student research in the area of personality assessment. These awards of up to $500 dollars are open to undergraduate or graduate students in psychology or related fields. Although not required at time of application, to receive the grant, the student must hold an active student membership for the 2023 calendar year. It is expected that the findings of this research will be presented at a forthcoming Annual Convention of SPA.
The Society for Personality Assessment (SPA) will be making grants to support dissertation research in the area of personality assessment. These awards of up to $800 dollars must have an approved dissertation proposal before applying for the grant. Although not required at time of application, to receive the grant, the student must hold an active student membership for the 2023 calendar year. It is expected that the findings of the dissertation will be presented at a forthcoming Annual Convention of SPA.
SPA will be accepting scholarship applications for the 2023 SPA Convention now through November 30, 2022!
Student Travel Scholarships:
- Provide complimentary member early-bird rate registration and one night in the hotel.
- International applicants may be awarded an additional travel stipend of up to $400 depending on the stated need and the number of applications received.
Early-Career Travel Scholarships:
- Provide complimentary member early-bird rate registration, one night in the hotel, and up to $150 in reimbursable expenses (travel, additional registration fees, additional hotel expenses, food expenses).
- International applicants may be awarded an additional travel stipend of up to $800 depending on the stated need and the number of applications received.
Diversity Travel Scholarships:
- Provide complimentary member early-bird rate registration, one night in the hotel, and up to $500 in reimbursable expenses (travel, additional registration fees, additional hotel expenses, food expenses).
It is time to renew your membership and advance the evidence-based practice and impact of personality assessment!
This year, SPA launched our 2022-2027 Strategic Framework with the goal of becoming the indispensable resource and advocate for personality assessment internationally. It is through your support as an SPA member that we were able to focus on improving the digitalization of our Society, making intentional advances in our member recruitment and retention, as well as continuing to lay the foundation for defining the utility and impact of personality assessment. Continue to be a part of helping make these strategies a reality and renew your membership today.
At the June SPA Board Meeting, the SPA Board of Directors approved an increase in dues for the 2023 membership year, the first increase since 2008. However, if you renew your 2023 dues before November 11, you will only be charged this year’s rate. We hope you take advantage of this discount, as the new dues rate will become active on November 12.
We're one step closer to bringing the Exchange back to the SPA Community! We're now accepting applications for the Exchange Editor position through Monday, October 31st. This position is a 1-year term that will be responsible for guiding the content development of this returning SPA publication.
We are hoping to bring more opportunities to the SPA membership and hear new perspectives and ideas through this process.
Editor Duties (With help from SPA Staff)
- Determine Issue Focus and Content
- Select Article Writers
- Edit/Review Articles
- Edit/Review Overall Composition of Issue
- Ensure Deadlines are Being Met
Submit Application by October 31, 2022!
Compounding and Confounding Components in the Assessment, Treatment, and Healing from Complex Trauma and Dissociation
October 22-23, 2022 | 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM US Eastern Time
Plenary Presenters: Dan Shaw, Shekhar Seshadri
We are excited to announce our 2022 Fall Virtual Conference! Join ISSTD for this two-day conference featuring plenary speakers Dan Shaw and Shekhar Seshadri. This event will include a mix of 90 minute and 3 hour workshops in addition to our two plenary presentations that will address the assessment, treatment, and healing from complex trauma and dissociation. Early bird rates run through September 15, 2022. Register early and save!
To view the full schedule of education sessions, click here. Additional education sessions and social events will be added to the schedule in the coming months.
- Editoral Fellowships for Early Career Professionals: Many APA journals offer editorial fellowship programs for early-career psychologists from historically excluded groups. These programs seek to elevate leadership opportunities in research and publishing for members of communities that have been historically underserved. Fellowships are open to individuals who have completed their education/training and are no more than 10 years postdoctoral. Candidates may hold a position at the rank of assistant professor (or equivalent, such as a research scientist). Visit the APA Journals webpage for details on qualifications, responsibilities, and how to apply. Click here to explore fellowship opportunities.
- Multicultural Assessment Conference: The Multicultural Assessment Conference (MAC) is designed to educate psychologists and all clinical professionals on the art of clinical assessment. MAC will offer multiple virtual workshops on a range of topics to include, but not limited to the following: culturally competent assessment measures, the implications of cultural diversity in assessment (e.g., race, ethnicity, SES, religion, trans health needs, sexual orientation), the unique presentation of various disorders in culturally diverse children and adults, and the business of psychological assessment. Click here to view the schedule. This conference will be between October 13-15, 2022, click here to register.
- In-person Workshop: The Autumn Seminars of the Finnish Rorschach Association will be hosting two workshops on October 21 and 22, 2022 in Helsinki, Finland. Click here for additional information.
- Introduction to the Comprehensive System Revised (CS-R): Theory & Practice
- Introduction to the CHESSSS 2 Rorschach Coding Program
- Invitation to take Survey: We will ask you to complete an online survey (in English, Dutch, or Italian, it’s up to you!) conducted by Ali Y.E. Akca, PhD candidate at the University of Turin (Italy), in collaboration with Erasmus University of Rotterdam (The Netherlands). The aim of this study is to explore the experiences and opinions of professionals involved in clinical, neuropsychological, forensic, and/or medical(physical) assessment. More specifically, we are asking practitioners to tell us about their experiences and opinions about the profile of their assessed clients. You may participate in this study if you perform psychological or medical assessments in any of the above areas. Your responses will be kept anonymous and confidential. If you have any questions, please contact the principal investigator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click Here to complete the survey.