July 2022 | Newsletter Update
WE HAVE A NEW LOGO! Last week, SPA President, Dr. A. Jill Clemence, announced in her letter to the membership that the SPA Board approved a new logo for SPA. This logo references SPA's history while modernized us for a new future. Over the next few weeks you will start to see updates to our website, social media accounts, and overall branding.
On June 21, 2022, the SPA Board agreed to co-sign along with other organizations a letter that was sent to Senate Chiefs of Staff, Legislative Directors, and Judiciary Staffers in support of action on gun violence prevention. To review the entire contents of the letters or to view what other organizations signed the letter please click below.
All trainings are listed in Eastern Time zone. Please note, webinars will be recorded and made available at a later time for those that missed or would like to rewatch the live version of the webinars.
July 7 | Using the Personality Assessment Inventory-Adolescent in Legal Settings | 1 CE Credit
Presenters: Nora E. Charles, PhD, Whitney Cowell, JD, PhD, and Laura M. Gulledge, PhD
1. Critically analyze the details of empirical studies that have used the PAI-A in legally-relevant contexts
2. Understand and be able to apply an admissibility framework for the PAI-A's legal admissibility
Presenters: Paul A. Arbisi, PhD, Melissa A. John, MS, Esq, and Joseph M. Roberts, PhD
1. Identify the forensic applications for using the Trauma Symptom Inventory (TSI) in legal settings.
2. Compare the past 20 years of TSI use in legal settings as relevant to admissibility standards.
July 20 and 21 | Evident-Based Applications of MMPI-3 in Forensic Evaluations | 7 CE Credits
Presenter: Martin Sellbom, PhD
1. Assess the rationale for and methods used to develop the MMPI-3
2. Evaluate the psychometric findings available to guide MMPI-3 interpretation, with an emphasis on forensic settings
3. Become familiar with how to defend MMPI-3 opinions in court for general purposes of use
4. Know how to apply the MMPI-3 in forensic psychological evaluations
5. Apply knowledge in interpreting MMPI-3 profiles to forensic cases
We need your help in recognizing individuals that embody the Society's mission to advacne the evidence-based practice and impact of personality assessment. Below is a list of Awards for which we are currently accepting nominations. As always, the recipients for all of these awards will be celecbrated at our 2023 SPA Convention in Austin, TX between March 29th - April 2nd.
- Bruno Klopfer Award
- John E. Exner Award
- Samuel J. and Anne G. Beck Early Career Award
- *NEW* SPA Mid-Career Award
- Mary S. Cerney Student Paper Award
- Distinguished Service & Contribution to Personality Assessment Award
Please note, we will be accepting self-nominations for any of these awards.
All nominations must be submitted by August 16, 2022 at 11:59 pm EDT!
SPA opened the call for workshop and program proposals last month for the 2023 SPA Convention! Please note, even though both calls are opening at the same time and will be using the same link to submit, deadlines are different.
- Call for Workshops Deadline: August 15, 2022
- Call for Program Proposals Deadline: October 10. 2022
We welcome proposals that are responsive to emerging trends and the evolving challenges of psychologists and clinicians utilizing and researching assessments. You can learn more about our Equity, Inclusion, and Social Justice Track by clicking here.
Proposal Options Include:
|Roundtable Discussion||Individual Poster|
For convention updates and more information, please click here.
SPA wants to get feedback from our members! We ask that you complete this short AND anonymous survey. We appreciate your cooperation!
- Invitation to take Survey: We will ask you to complete an online survey (in English, Dutch, or Italian, it’s up to you!) conducted by Ali Y.E. Akca, PhD candidate at the University of Turin (Italy), in collaboration with Erasmus University of Rotterdam (The Netherlands). The aim of this study is to explore the experiences and opinions of professionals involved in clinical, neuropsychological, forensic, and/or medical(physical) assessment. More specifically, we are asking practitioners to tell us about their experiences and opinions about the profile of their assessed clients. You may participate in this study if you perform psychological or medical assessments in any of the above areas. Your responses will be kept anonymous and confidential. If you have any questions, please contact the principal investigator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click Here to complete the survey.
- Call for Papers: Clinical Assessment in the Time of COVID Psychological Assessment is a scholarly journal committed to empirical research relevant to assessments conducted in the broad field of clinical psychology. The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic significantly impacted, and will continue to significantly impact, clinical assessment. We invite submissions to a special issue of the journal focused on clinical assessment issues arising from the pandemic. Deadline is September 30, 2022. Click here to submit.
- ISR Special Bulletin: In this issue, there is a focus on the upcoming ISR Centennial Congress to take place July 11 to 15, 2022 in Geneva. Click here for more information on the ISR Congress. Register Here.
- Invest In Your Future: To mark 100 years of Hermann Rorschach and his book, Psychodiagnostik, and to consider what the next 100 years of the Rorschach should look like, the International Society of the Rorschach and Projective Methods (ISR) is organizing its XXIII Congress in Geneva, Switzerland, with the support of the University of Geneva. This hybrid Congress, which will combine in-person and virtual events, is open to professionals from all disciplines who have an interest in the Rorschach and projective methods. For more information, click here for English, click here for French, click here for Japanese
View new and available job postings below.