November 2022 | Newsletter Updates
Integrating Psychoanalytic Thinking into Neuropsychological Assessment
November 14 | 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Principles, processes, and practices of “combined” psychodynamic and neuropsychological assessments are illustrated through the study of a woman with insecure attention and executive function deficits. The case study highlights the following:
- The limitations of doing a “straight” neuropsychological evaluation for some patients
- The advantage of having a psychodynamic lens through which to understand all data
- How to integrate data from projective and neuropsychological measures
Registration for our 2023 SPA Convention in Austin, TX opens very soon! In the meantime, you are able to view our Featured Lectures and Workshops including a special Therapeutic Assessment workshop on Tuesday, March 28th. All upcoming presentations will touch on various relevant topics to the personality and psychological assessment field.
- Psychological Assessment of Racial and Cultural Trauma | Dr. Apryl Alexander
- Language as Personality | Dr. Jamie Pennebaker
- Carving Your Path: Career Development Panel | Panelist TBD
- Advancing the Concept and Applicability of the Treatment Utility of Clinical Assessment | Dr. Jan Kamphuis, Dr. Arjen Noordhof, and Dr. Christopher Hopwood
|View Featured Lectures||View Workshops|
We have created a tenative schedule at a glance, click here to view the most current schedule.
Even though registration is not yet open, the Austin Marriott Downtown is accepting reservations. Click here to book your room in Austin, TX!
Applications are due November 14, 2022
We are looking for individuals who are passionate and committed to SPA's mission of advancing the evidence-based practice and impact of personality assessment through research, education, training, and advocacy. We hope you consider joining this committee which helps identify and develop the leadership talent for the organization. Complete the form below by November 14, 2022 to apply for the committee. You can access a full committee description of this committee by clicking here.
SPA will be accepting scholarship applications for the 2023 SPA Convention now through November 30, 2022!
Student Travel Scholarships:
- Provide complimentary member early-bird rate registration and one night in the hotel.
- International applicants may be awarded an additional travel stipend of up to $400 depending on the stated need and the number of applications received.
Early-Career Travel Scholarships:
- Provide complimentary member early-bird rate registration, one night in the hotel, and up to $150 in reimbursable expenses (travel, additional registration fees, additional hotel expenses, food expenses).
- International applicants may be awarded an additional travel stipend of up to $800 depending on the stated need and the number of applications received.
Diversity Travel Scholarships:
- Provide complimentary member early-bird rate registration, one night in the hotel, and up to $500 in reimbursable expenses (travel, additional registration fees, additional hotel expenses, food expenses).
It is time to renew your membership and advance the evidence-based practice and impact of personality assessment!
New member rates are coming soon! This year, SPA launched our 2022-2027 Strategic Framework with the goal of becoming the indispensable resource and advocate for personality assessment internationally. It is through your support as an SPA member that we were able to focus on improving the digitalization of our Society, making intentional advances in our member recruitment and retention, as well as continuing to lay the foundation for defining the utility and impact of personality assessment. Continue to be a part of helping make these strategies a reality and renew your membership today.
At the June SPA Board Meeting, the SPA Board of Directors approved an increase in dues for the 2023 membership year, the first increase since 2008. Submit your 2023 dues by November 11 at 5:00 pm to only be charge previous rates. We hope you take advantage of this discount, as the new dues rate will become active on November 12.
- Editoral Fellowships for Early Career Professionals: Many APA journals offer editorial fellowship programs for early-career psychologists from historically excluded groups. These programs seek to elevate leadership opportunities in research and publishing for members of communities that have been historically underserved. Fellowships are open to individuals who have completed their education/training and are no more than 10 years postdoctoral. Candidates may hold a position at the rank of assistant professor (or equivalent, such as a research scientist). Visit the APA Journals webpage for details on qualifications, responsibilities, and how to apply. Click here to explore fellowship opportunities.
- Invitation to take Survey: We will ask you to complete an online survey (in English, Dutch, or Italian, it’s up to you!) conducted by Ali Y.E. Akca, PhD candidate at the University of Turin (Italy), in collaboration with Erasmus University of Rotterdam (The Netherlands). The aim of this study is to explore the experiences and opinions of professionals involved in clinical, neuropsychological, forensic, and/or medical(physical) assessment. More specifically, we are asking practitioners to tell us about their experiences and opinions about the profile of their assessed clients. You may participate in this study if you perform psychological or medical assessments in any of the above areas. Your responses will be kept anonymous and confidential. If you have any questions, please contact the principal investigator at email@example.com. Click Here to complete the survey.