April 2023 | Newsletter Updates
2023 SPA Convention | Leadership Development Committee | SPA Board Nominations | Utility of Assessment Grant | Message from our Sponsor | Community Events & News | Job Postings
2023 SPA Convention
Thank you to all of our presenters, volunteers, partners, exhibitors, and attendees for making the 2023 SPA Convention one to remember. As you may know, SPA partnered up with three community organizations and gave attendees the option to choose which organization to donate to and the results are in. Thank you to everyone who participated!
|Equality Texas||Texas Advocacy Project||The Other Ones Foundation|
As a reminder, to receive continuing education credits evaluations must be submitted by April 10, 2023 at 11:59pmCST. Credit claiming after this date may require a quiz to be completed, with a passing score of 70%, before the session evaluation can be completed.
If you took any pictures during the SPA Convention make sure to share on social media using hashtag #SPA23 or you can email your pictures to our office.
Leadership Development Committee
The SPA Leadership Development Committee is looking for two individuals to join the committee for the remainder of 2023 through 2025! As a whole, the Committee shall be responsible for identifying and developing the leadership talent for the organization. Specific responsibilities of this committee will include:
- Identifying the skill needs and qualifications for SPA’s Board of Trustees,
- Reviewing applications for open positions for the SPA Board of Trustees,
- Other duties relating to the nominations and elections process of SPA.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Dr. John McNulty, SPA Past President and Chair of the Leadership Development Committee, or Nathan Victoria, SPA Executive Director, through email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Submit your application by April 15, 2023!
SPA Board Nominations
The SPA Board of Directors announced a call for nominations for President and two Representatives-at-Large yesterday. The Leadership Development Committee (LDC) prepared a Candidate Leadership Guide that provides general information about Board member roles, responsibilities, competencies and culture expectations. In addition, detailed job descriptions for the President and Representative-at-Large positions, including qualifications, duties, and estimated time commitments, along with the Candidate Leadership guide, are available on the Elections & Nominations webpage.
The election itself will run from August 7 to September 4, 2023, and the new Board members will be announced in early September. New Board members will participate in orientation and onboarding activities over the remaining months of 2023, and will assume their Board responsibilities on January 1, 2024.
Nominations are open from now through April 30, 2023!
Utility and Impact of Assessment Grant
The SPA Board of Directors announced a new grant last month of up to $35,000 that is meant to help advance the strategy to “define the utility and impact of personality assessment and communicate its value.” This grant will support projects that will evaluate the applied value of clinical personality assessment for clients, therapists, and referral sources.
Applicants should submit a 1-page letter of intent to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15 with the following information:
- Background of Problem
- Aims and Hypotheses
- Proposed Methods (Sample Design)
- Brief Overview of the Budget Requested
Letters will be reviewed by the Utility and Impact of Personality Assessment Taskforceand invitations will be sent for a full application by June 20. Full applications will be due August 21.
What would you do with $35,000 to help advance the utility and impact of Personality Assessment? We look forward to finding out your ideas by submitting your letter of intent by May 15.
Submit Letter by May 15, 2023!
Message from our Sponsor, Pearson!
Congratulations to Dr. Yossef S. Ben-Porath on winning the Bruno Klopfer Award for his distinguished work in the field of personality! We appreciate his expertise and commitment to clinical assessment and look forward to our continued partnership.
Community Events & News
- New Book: Psychological Assessment of Surgical Candidates by Ryan Marek and Andrew Block. This book presents evidence-based approaches to presurgical psychological assessments across a broad range of medical conditions. For more information, click here.
- New Articles: Ethnic Differences in Assessment: How Self-Report and Observation Converge and Diverge Among Ethnically Diverse Incarcerated Youths
- Call for Manuscripts: Annals of LGBTQ Public and Population Health is seeking articles from qualitative and/or quantitative research on healthcare delivery to LGBTQ populations. For more information, click here.
- Event: Join Dr. Luciano Gironmini at the Understanding R-PAS Scores and Profiles through the Lens of Nueroimaging and Psychophysiological Research seminar April 21-22. 2023 in Finland. For additional information, please click here.
- Event: Applications of Machine Learning for Measuring and Modeling Psychological Concepts Via Different Methods of Communication, May 16-18, 2023 at Sam Houston State University. 3-day summer training on applications of artificial intelligence and machine learning for measuring and modeling psychological concepts (see attached flyer). The target audience is Ph.D. students and postdoctoral scholars in psychology but we will also consider applications from established researchers.Learn more by clicking here.
- Event: ISR Summer Seminar July 14-16, 2023 in Genoa, Italy! We look forward to welcoming you to what we expect to be an interesting and stimulating three days of lectures, workshops and discussions on "Rorschach and Psychosis" with Rorschach practitioners, researchers and colleagues from all parts of the world. For more information, please click here. Learn about the faculty by clicking here. Register by filling out this form, early bird pricing ends on April 14, 2023.
- Event: ISSPD is excited to announce that their Early Bird Registration is now open for the ISSPD 2023 Congress that will take place 1st-3rd November 2023 at SMC, Sydney. The Congress will be an opportunity for world leading researchers and master clinicians to share their knowledge, students to engage with more senior colleagues and showcase their research and careers, and consumers to engage with the clinical and research world. For more information, click here.