December 2022 | Newsletter Updates
Registration for our 2023 SPA Convention in Austin, TX is now OPEN! View our Featured Lectures and Workshops including a special Therapeutic Assessment workshop on Tuesday, March 28th below. All upcoming presentations will touch on various relevant topics to the personality and psychological assessment field.
- Advancing the Concept and Applicability of the Treatment Utility of Clinical Assessment | Dr. Jan Kamphuis, Dr. Arjen Noordhof, and Dr. Christopher Hopwood
- Carving Your Path: Career Development Panel | Dr. Nicole Cain, Dr. Jordan Wright, Dr. Christina Biedermann, Dr. Ron Ganellan, and Dr. Ali Khadivi
- Psychological Assessment of Racial and Cultural Trauma | Dr. Apryl Alexander
- Language as Personality | Dr. Jamie Pennebaker
Interested in volunteering for a workshop below? Click HERE to volunteer!
We have created a tenative schedule at a glance, click here to view the most current schedule.
Click here to book your room in Austin, TX!
In case you missed it, SPA selected the 2023 Award Winners! Help celebrate them at the 2023 SPA Convention in Austin, TX.
- Bruno Klopfer Award | Yossef S. Ben-Porath, PhD
- Distinguished Service & Contribution to Personality Assessment Award | Philip Erdberg, PhD, ABPP
- SPA Mid-Career Award | Christopher Hopwood, PhD
- Samuel J. and Anne G. Beck Early Career Award | Tess Neal, PhD
- John E. Exner Award | Abby Mulay, PhD
- Mary S. Cerney Student Paper Award | Cole Morris
We appreciate you donating in any capacity to the 1938 IMPACT!
Volunteering is another great way to serve the Society, network with other professionals, and contribute to the 1938 IMPACT! Click the button on the right to receive more information.
The nomination period for positions on the SPAGS board is CLOSING! Being involved with the Board is a fantastic way to gain leadership experience, bring your vision to our organization, work closely with senior leadership, and boost your CV. Board members also receive funding toward attending the annual convention.
- Member At Large
- International Member At Large
Applications due December 2nd!
It is time to renew your membership and advance the evidence-based practice and impact of personality assessment!
New member rates have now been activated! This year, SPA launched our 2022-2027 Strategic Framework with the goal of becoming the indispensable resource and advocate for personality assessment internationally. It is through your support as an SPA member that we were able to focus on improving the digitalization of our Society, making intentional advances in our member recruitment and retention, as well as continuing to lay the foundation for defining the utility and impact of personality assessment. Continue to be a part of helping make these strategies a reality and renew your membership today.
We have been consulting with a representative from the Ukrainian Psychological Association. As you can imagine, this is a time of turmoil and increased need for psychological support.
Current prioritized needs by the community in the realm of psychological assessment include screenings for trauma (and related) symptoms with military personal, access to such measures towards translation (typically a slow process), and training on valid utilization.
Please consider completing the brief survey (only takes 2 minutes) and/or forwarding this request to additional colleagues who may be able/willing to assist.
We are looking for folks who have:
- Knowledge/access of readily available valid screening measures (in any language)
- Relationships with testing publishers
- Expertise in military and trauma work and specifically effective screening and assessment
- Relevant cultural and linguistic knowledge
We thank you for your time and consideration and supporting this collaboration within the international psychological assessment community.
-The Assessment Psychology Section, Division 12
- Advocacy: Ask Congress to take immediate action to address the mental health crisis facing the nation. The Advocacy Office has identified solutions to help strengthen and expand access to mental health services - including but not limited to expanding workforce programs, expanding access to mental health in schools and achieving parity for mental health services. All of these solutions are currently under consideration as part of end-of-year legislation. Together, let's raise our voices on the need to include these bills as part of final votes taken in congress this year. Please take 2 minutes to share these solutions with Congress today!
- Event: Online Video Education and Assessment to Empower Individuals with Borderline Persoanlity Disorder on Tuesday, December 13, 2022 at 2:00pm EDT. Existing treatments for borderline personality disorder (BPD) require extensive clinician training and face-to-face intervention. To expand treatment opportunities, psychoeducational videos about BPD might be made available online. We seek to test a suite of online videos for this purpose that will include tools for assessment of symptoms and cognition. Our aim is to make available for wider dissemination a clinical prescription that requires minimal effort and little additional training for treating clinicians. Register HERE.
- Event: ISSPD is excited to announce that their Early Bird Registration is now open for the ISSPD 2023 Congress that will take place 1st-3rd November 2023 at SMC, Sydney. The Congress will be an opportunity for world leading researchers and master clinicians to share their knowledge, students to engage with more senior colleagues and showcase their research and careers, and consumers to engage with the clinical and research world. For more information, click here.
- Event: XXIV Congress of the International Society for the Rorschach and Projective Methods- Join ISR for their Congress July 9-12, 2024 in Copenhagen, Denmark. For more information, please visit rorschachcph2024.dk.
- Assessment Throwdown: View the Assessment Throwdown 2022 Case Here. For the Live Event, Click Here.
- Nancy Kaser-Boyd, Ph.D. has appeared in a documentary on a murder trial of a battered woman which is now featured on Netflix. It is titled "Killer Sally" after her 'handle' as a female bodybuilder.
- Discount: Never used personality assessment inventories for sell at discounted price. For more information, contact Jamee Nicoletti. Test names and pricing can be found below.
Beck Suicidal Ideation Manual + 22 forms
HTP - Kit + 23 Forms
MMPI - Adolescent - 1 test booklet, 2 Forms, Manual (Admin, Supplemental, Interpretation)
MMPI-2 Manual, Reading Grid, 9 Booklets
MMPI-2 Qlocal Forms 25 x 3 unopened + 20
MMPI-2 Reading Grid
White Noise Sound Machine
Therapy Practice Essentials Book
- Editoral Fellowships for Early Career Professionals: Many APA journals offer editorial fellowship programs for early-career psychologists from historically excluded groups. These programs seek to elevate leadership opportunities in research and publishing for members of communities that have been historically underserved. Fellowships are open to individuals who have completed their education/training and are no more than 10 years postdoctoral. Candidates may hold a position at the rank of assistant professor (or equivalent, such as a research scientist). Visit the APA Journals webpage for details on qualifications, responsibilities, and how to apply. Click here to explore fellowship opportunities.
- Invitation to take Survey: We will ask you to complete an online survey (in English, Dutch, or Italian, it’s up to you!) conducted by Ali Y.E. Akca, PhD candidate at the University of Turin (Italy), in collaboration with Erasmus University of Rotterdam (The Netherlands). The aim of this study is to explore the experiences and opinions of professionals involved in clinical, neuropsychological, forensic, and/or medical(physical) assessment. More specifically, we are asking practitioners to tell us about their experiences and opinions about the profile of their assessed clients. You may participate in this study if you perform psychological or medical assessments in any of the above areas. Your responses will be kept anonymous and confidential. If you have any questions, please contact the principal investigator at email@example.com. Click Here to complete the survey.