May 2023 | Newsletter Update
As SPA continues to grow, more opportunities become available for our members to get involved and make a difference in the SPA Community! SPA would not be possible with out its members and volunteers, so please consider volunteering on one of the many ways below.
You can now apply to any of the committes using one application.
- 2024 SPA Convention Program Committee
- Continuing Education Committee
- Diversity & Social Justice Committee
- Membership Committee
Application Deadline to Join SPA Committees is May 8, 2023!
The SPA Board of Directors announced a new grant last month of up to $35,000 that is meant to help advance the strategy to “define the utility and impact of personality assessment and communicate its value.” This grant will support projects that will evaluate the applied value of clinical personality assessment for clients, therapists, and referral sources.
Applicants should submit a 1-page letter of intent to email@example.com by May 15 with the following information:
- Background of Problem
- Aims and Hypotheses
- Proposed Methods (Sample Design)
- Brief Overview of the Budget Requested
Letters will be reviewed by the Utility and Impact of Personality Assessment Taskforceand invitations will be sent for a full application by June 20. Full applications will be due August 21.
What would you do with $35,000 to help advance the utility and impact of Personality Assessment? We look forward to finding out your ideas by submitting your letter of intent by May 15.
Submit Letter by May 15, 2023!
The time for award nominations has already started! Every year our goal is to recognize individuals that embody the Society's mission to advance the evidence-based practice and impact of personality assessment through research, education, training, and advocacy. These are some of the individuals that will help move us forward in your field or personality and psychoanalytic assessment.
Recipients for all of these awards will be celebrated at our 2024 SPA Convention in San Diego, CA between March 13-17, 2024. If you have any questions, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bruno Klopfer Award
- John E. Exner Award
- Samuel J. and Anne G. Beck Early Career Award
- SPA Mid-Career Award
- Mary S. Cerney Student Paper Award
- Distinguished Service & Contribution to Personality Assessment Award
All Nominations must be submitted by
July 24, 2023 at 11:59 PM ET for consideration.
Please note, we will be accepting self nominations for any of these awards.
- 2023 Assessment Throwdown: The Assessment Section of APA's Division 12 invites students from clinical, counseling, or school psychology graduate programs to participate in their annual Assessment Throwdown. The goal of this competition is for trainees to show off their assessment knowledge and receive feedback from experts in the field. There are two rounds with the first round ending on July 30, 2023. For more information, please click here to view flyer.
- Mentorship (ISR Members ONLY): The ISR is implementing a system to put members in touch with each other in order to offer the opportunity of a consultation. To do so, first of all, we will make a list of those colleagues who are willing to offer at least two hours of their time for free to provide mentoring for educational purposes.
Please use this link: https://forms.gle/tK9V4Vvt18y7bPtF6
Fill in the Google form if you would like to participate as a mentor. It asks you to provide some information about your field of practice, the language(s) in which you prefer to work and your approach to Rorschach interpretation.
We also include an agreement to be signed in order to participate in this programme.
- New Articles: Ethnic Differences in Assessment: How Self-Report and Observation Converge and Diverge Among Ethnically Diverse Incarcerated Youths
- Event: Applications of Machine Learning for Measuring and Modeling Psychological Concepts Via Different Methods of Communication, May 16-18, 2023 at Sam Houston State University. 3-day summer training on applications of artificial intelligence and machine learning for measuring and modeling psychological concepts (see attached flyer). The target audience is Ph.D. students and postdoctoral scholars in psychology but we will also consider applications from established researchers.Learn more by clicking here.
- Event: We welcome you to join us at the ISR Summer Seminars, held in Genova, Italy, July 14th-16th, and enjoy this 3 days stimulating and enriching event. Early bird deadline has been extended until May 30th! Click here for more information. To register, fill out form and email to ISR treasurer.